Burritos are the best. Everyone knows that. Here’s my foolproof recipe for the best burritos ever.
1 hour cooking time
Makes 14 burritos (quite a few so feel free to halve recipe, but I love to make some for lunches for the next few days)
For the rice mix:
- 250g brown rice
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g frozen/tinned sweetcorn
- small bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
For the guacamole:
- 3-4 avocadoes
- juice of half a lime/lemon
- salt + pepper
For the tofu crumble (‘mince’)
I’m in love with tofu crumble – crumbled crispy tofu baked in the oven with a few spices!
I use this recipe: https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/vegan-tofu-taco-crumbles/
I make a batch of this (minus the salsa) and add it to the burritos to add a ‘meaty’ texture to them. Feel free to leave this out.
Putting them together:
- 14 wholemeal wraps
- 1 bag of kale/spinach
- 1 jar of salsa (or homemade)
- Cook the rice as directed on the packet.
- Meanwhile make the tofu crumbles if you’re doing so.
- Heat a splash of oil or water at the bottom of a large saucepan. Once hot, add the onion and cook until fragrant and caramelised. Add the garlic and stir briefly. Add the spices and stir to coat.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, beans and sweetcorn. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once your rice is cooked, add all of the rice to this mixture and stir to coat every grain.
- Stir in the coriander and keep on a low heat.
- Make the guacamole: Slice open the avocados and scoop out the flesh into a small bowl. Mash with the back of a fork until smooth. Add the lime juice, salt and pepper and stir.
- Wilt the kale: If you’re using spinach skip this step. If you’re using kale, place in a saucepan with a splash of water over medium heat, and put the lid on. Shake the pan every now and again until the kale is soft and wilted. Alternatively put the kale in a bowl with a splash of water and microwave for 1 minute.
Prepare the burritos!
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius. If you’ve made the tofu crumbles your oven will already be at this temperature.
- Spread a tablespoon of guacamole over the centre of a tortilla.
- Spread a tablespoon of salsa over this.
- Add a small handful of the kale or spinach.
- Place a ladleful of the rice mix over this.
- Add a tablespoon of the tofu crumbles.
- Wrap the burrito by pinching the smaller ends in over the filling and rolling, making sure to keep the filling tucked in.
- Place the burrito on a baking dish/tray. Repeat with all of the wraps and once the tray is full, bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the wraps looks golden and crispy.
- They are finally ready to eat!
Hope you enjoy 🙂
Fancy a dessert afterwards?
The Conscious Medic
here’s a sneeky extra pic to prove that these burritos are amazing for bringing to lunches the next day and fuelling you well – I brought these with me on a hike!